Friday, May 28, 2010

Bridal Shower Invitations

I have often referred to the genuine excitement I get from landing a deal or finding a treasure on the clearance rack (I mentioned a similar experience here). I recently wanted to jump up and down when I scored my most recent deal. I was on the hunt for classy yet somewhat inexpensive bridal shower invitations.

I debated on purchasing them online and having them printed, but quickly found that out of my price range. I wanted that same look but was convinced with a little DIY, I could pull it off.

I needed 24 invitations, but wanted a few to spare. I first checked out Target. I found some I liked, but with a Michael's 40% off coupon in my pocket, I had to check there before I made my final decision.

Once in Michael's I scanned the wedding isle until BINGO, I spotted just want I wanted. I found a set of 50, blue wedding invitations. I was elated because they matched her wedding colors. I did another silent cheer to myself when I realized the bride could use the response cards and envelopes as thank-you notes for all her bridal gifts. Don't hang up yet, the story gets better.

As I walked to the check out lane, I probably looked like a kid in a candy store. I was so excited to find exactly what I wanted, with the added thank-yous included. I couldn't wait to whip out my coupon and watch the savings flash before my eyes. I waited patiently as a sweet elderly lady was checking out. She turned to me and said, "Could you use a 50% off coupon, it expires today?" I said, "Yes, thank you so much." The bells in my head went off as the adrenaline surged through my veins. The lights began to flash, did I just win a car on the Price Is Right? Call me a nerd, I know.

I couldn't wait to show my husband the cute invitations and the receipt that revealed all savings. Grand total: $13.26

Here's what I had to work with:
After 2 hours of designing/adjusting the layout then fighting with the printer, I had my final product ready to ship:
So there you have it, handmade invitations with class, style, and flair. With creativity, a budget-friendly eye, and the help of a sweet elderly lady, the invitations were complete.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work Mollie!! ps I liked your writing style in this one too :)

    ReplyDelete