Sunday, March 11, 2012

preparing for week 1 of gluten free diet

If you didn't see it in my last post, I'm embarking on a gluten free diet in attempt to decrease my migraines. I had this thought for a while and finally decided to go for it [the last 2 migraines were too much to bare].


Here's what I did to prepare...
  • reached out to my friends who already live this lifestyle and got lots of helpful tips, websites, blogs, and all around advice
  • searched the internet for hours learning what foods contain gluten and what foods are safe
  • read blog post after blog post for "getting started..."
  • came up with a week of meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) that are all gluten free
  • tried to subdue the wow-this-is-very-overwhelming feeling
  • oh yea and treated myself to an early birthday present at The Chessecake Factory 




I haven't had a piece of cheesecake from here in years, since college actually, so about 5-6 years ago. I really debated but JD's encouragement was all I needed. I enjoyed this over three days and now it's gone. I am truly not going to cheat and therefore will not have any "real" cookies or cake for my birthday coming up.

After reading some online advice, it suggested not to substitute a gluten free flour in anything or eat gluten free pasta right away. Don't try to "replace" gluten and give you body a clean two weeks to adjust. Then, begin to try the gluten free versions of pasta, cookies, bread, etc.

I wasn't exactly sure where to begin. I wish someone could have said..."Cook these meals the first week," but couldn't find that anywhere. So, here's what I came up with.

Main Meals [we always cook 3 and eat leftovers]
Sides
  • broccoli
  • aspargus
  • salads
 Breakfast
  • Honey Chex Cereal/Almond Milk [not much change here]
Lunch
  • Amy's gluten free burittos
  • fruit
  • rasins
  • yogurt
Snacks
  • fruit
  • caramel corn rice cakes
  • almond nut thins
  • chocolate 
By no means in this going to turn in to a "gluten free" blog [I barely know what I'm doing], but this is what my week one looks like.

*We just finished the brown sugar turkey meatloaf and it was delicious...gluten free or not, you need to try this one.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment