Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Adding Color to Any Room


So many people become overwhelmed when redoing a room. Choosing the color scheme can be one of the hardest choices but also one of the most important. Do I want to go bold or play it safe? How do I know what colors compliment one another?

Today I was thrilled to receive a brand new, FREE Behr paint booklet with all of their paint color samples. I never knew so many colors existed.

A few simple tips for adding color:

1. Travel to a store with a lot of pillows. Pier one has an excellent array of pillows. Find a pillow in a color you like. Sometimes one pillow is made up of multiple colors. Pull colors from the pillow to use in your room. In my room make over, I pulled colors from the decorative pillow I found at Target. It will keep the colors limited yet cohesive. David Bromstad, from Color Splash found color inspiration for this makeover simply from the pillows on the couch.



2. If you set on a particular bold color, like teal or orange but are hesitant of over-doing it, use a neutral paint color and accent with accessories in your chosen color.

David Bromstad, the host of Color Splash does this very well.



3. Adding a focus wall (painting just one wall a different color than the rest of the room) is another way to bring in a hint of color.

For more ideas from David Bromstad, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment