Sunday, July 11, 2010

Nursery Wall Art

I've been very busy crafting for 2 sweet baby girls. One is in here and another in here...
They are both due within days of each other. Their friendship means so much to me and I can't wait to meet their beautiful daughters. I decided to make each of them a set of wall art for their nurseries.

Lesley (on the left) bought this gorgeous bedding from Pottery Barn Kids. I used her colors and carried the bird theme onto the art. She had no idea I was making it, so I was hoping for the best. Turns out she loves it!
I love how the owl has a sassy look to her.

Katie (on the right) bought her lovely bedding at the Land of Nod. The light purple is so elegant and I love how it is not the typical pink nursery.
In case you want to make your own, here's how

1. Purchase wood (I bought mine from home depot) and have them cut it for you. I do not own a saw, but am seriously thinking about buying one. My squares are 9 in. by 9 in. Sand them so they are nice and smooth.
2. Print images (I found it best to use coloring book pages, so the images are black and white, and then print them out on colored card stock. It looks sharper and the colored paper is bolder than colored ink).
3. Tape off the border and paint it. I used a 1 inch margin. This is time consuming but makes for the best straight line.
4. Remove tape and paint the inside box.
5. Let dry overnight

6. Place a thin layer of mod podge on the back of the image and place it on the wood. Then take a thick layer of mod podge over the entire front surface. It will add a glossy finished look to the art. Dry overnight.
7. Lastly, nail on a hook for hanging.
8. Step back and admire your hard work and finished artwork.

I enjoy painting so these were a blast for me to make. I can easily see a set made for a kitchen wall with a tomato, onion, and pepper or for a bedroom with a elegant design going across all 3, or a little boy's room with trucks or tools. The choices are endless.

So that's what I've been up to these days. I'm thinking about making a set for our little condo, but not sure what kind or where I want them. I'll let you know when I decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment