Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Goodies from the Douglas Kitchen

Now that Christmas is over, I can reveal the homemade gifts we gave this year. Once I stumbled on this post out in blogland, I couldn't wait to try both recipes. You can't go wrong with edible gifts right?

I made the butter first and it was delicious. I ended up making 2 batches. I found the little glass jars at Walmart and they were the perfect size. The post I already linked up in the first paragraph has the recipe and great step-by-step pictures, so check there if you want to make your own. I bought some twine, red fabric and made some tags to finish it off.
Once the butter was done, I moved onto the popcorn and again it was very good. We made a test batch a couple weeks ago to make sure we liked it and we did! I followed the same recipe on the link posted above so check there for the recipe and step-by-step process. The only thing I did different was add some melted chocolate. I melted it in the microwave and spooned it into a pastry bag, cut off the tip and squeezed it onto the popcorn. If you don't have pastry bags on hand, a zip-lock baggy will do the trick.Once it dried (about 10 minutes), I put it into clear bags and tied it up with a tag and some ribbon.

I put both treats into these cute bags I found 70% off at JoAnn's fabric, added some tissue paper and another tag and they were ready to go.We made a total of 7 bags. They were fun to make and great to taste. I'll be back with more Christmas details soon...

2 comments:

  1. look at you! that popcorn looks glorious!!! i hope you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I personally made little bags of puppy chow.

    ReplyDelete