Monday, January 24, 2011

Frames, Fabric & Fun

I thought I'd use some alliteration in the title since the 5th graders just wrapped up their poetry unit, and I have a zillion poetry terms fresh in my mind.

I found a few fame displays out here in blog land (check them out here and here) and wanted to give it a whirl myself. So, my hunt for frames began. I did not want to spend a lot of money and was ready to plow through the clearance racks. Are you ready for some crazy finds? I bought...
  • 1 frame from T J Maxx on clearance for $2.00
  • 2 frames from Michaels, $1.00 each
  • 2 frames from Salvation Army, $1.50 each

5 frames for $6.00. Crazy. I lightly sanded each frame and painted them all a dark gray.

I wanted to add some color to the walls (without actually painting) so I added some colorful fabric to each frame. It took me a while (a good 25 minutes) to find fabrics that were cohesive but not too matchy matchy. Here's what I found...


 I cut out the fabric to fit each frame. I tried multiple arrangements on the floor before deciding which one I liked the best.


I got all the fabrics for $6.36. This project was fun from start to finish.
Grand total: $12.36

Now that's what I call High Style on a Small Budget!

Can't wait for you to see them in action (by that I mean hanging still on my bedroom wall) when I reveal the new bedroom.
Have you been following along? If not, check out the sneak peek, new bedding, and homemade pillow posts to get caught up.

3 comments: