Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Recipe

Back in the reader's survey, some of you mentioned you wanted to see more recipes. I am trying my best to fulfill all of your requests. Slowly but surely. I'm also trying to blog more often. Heck, this is my 4th day in a row and my 8th post in January. So far so good.

So, I thought I would share one of my favorites. Turkey burgers with sweet potato fries. It's quick, healthy, and gooooood.

I use the Rachel Ray recipe:
Caribbean Turkey Burgers
A couple tips:
  • It calls for a mango salsa. I've made it before but it is not necessary. If you want to make it fine, if not, fine too. I don't make it.
  • I always buy a pound of turkey meat and the recipe calls for 2, I just cut everything in half.
  • I never buy fresh basil and throw in dried cilantro instead or skip it all together.
  • I always add a bit more brown sugar because we like them a bit sweeter.
  • Toss them on the George Foreman (or a real grill if you're so lucky) for about 6-7 minutes and they're done.
  • I add ketchup and mayo.
Sweet Potato Fries
I usually use 2-3 medium sized sweet potatoes. Before I cut them, I warm them up individually in the microwave for 1 minute. They are too hard to cut otherwise. I learned the hard way and cut my finger pretty badly. Toss some olive oil over them and bake in the oven at 400 degrees. I don't have an exact time but around 15 minutes...stirring a few times in between. I usually make the fries first and then make the burgers. By the time the burgers are made and cooked, the fries are done. I like them a little crispy.

It is one of our quick but tasty recipes. JD's favorite. He would eat them every week if he could.

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy - May make them soon!! Thanks for the recipe!
    Aunt Cindy

    ReplyDelete