Saturday, January 29, 2011

Pillow Tutorial

When I first shared my homemade pillow, I'm promised a tutorial. Here it is...

Materials:
  • Fabric
  • Fusible Fleece (optional but recommended)
  • Needle/Thread
  • Pins
  • Iron
  • Ruler/Scissors/Pencil 
  • Sewing Machine 
  • Polyester filling
Step 1
Cut fabric to the desired length of pillow. Allow an extra inch for each side. If you want your pillow to be 12 inches long, measure 13 inches. For this tutorial I didn't really care what size my pillow came out to be, so I just measured a 12 inch square.

Step 2
Cut another panel the same exact size for the other side of the pillow. You can use the same fabric or two different kinds (depending on how you want you pillow to look). To keep things interesting, I chose 2 different types of fabric. I just placed the fabric over top and cut around it. I do not have a lot of patience for measuring.  Repeat with 2 more fleece panels. 
You should now have 4 panels (2 fabric and 2 fleece) all cut to the same length. 


Step 3
Fuse one piece of fleece to one fabric panel following the directions on the fleece. Just lay the fabric on top of the fusible side of the fleece and iron together for 15 seconds.  Iron slow and steady so they adhere. Repeat for second piece of fleece and fabric. You should now have two panels.
Tip: I use fleece so the shell of the pillow is thicker, sturdier, and more durable.


Step 4
Place two panels together fabric side touching. 
 
Step 5
Sew panels together. When you finish sewing one length the pillow, rotate and continuing sewing all the way around. 
Leave a 4 inch gap in the middle of one side.
It should now look like this...
It got a little uneven, so I carefully trimmed the sides but be careful not to cut too close to the seem. 

Step 6
Carefully snip off all 4 corners.
Step 7
Turn pillow right side out through 4 inch gap. Using your finger make sure to poke out the corners.  Stuff with polyester filling. I stuff it nice and full. Almost done.

Step 8
Carefully fold fabric over at 4 inch opening and pin shut.

 Step 9
Hand sew together, carefully removing pins once you get to them. Tie a secure knot at the end and your done!!

If you want to add the flowers, check out this tutorial. I just overlapped mine instead of making them so circular. 

Depending on what I'm feeling, I can choose to display either side of the pillow.


Happy pillow making!

No comments:

Post a Comment